The Squamish ‘Rock Stars’ Climbing Team
Essence of the Squamish Rock Stars
- To foster and capture the essence of the climbing spirit
- To focus on effort over results; to instil a growth mindset and approach failure as learning opportunities
- To get out of our comfort zones
- To provide tools to develop mental and physical strength and tenacity
- To allow space and time for self-discovery, growth, and understanding of oneself
- To understand on-sighting, red-pointing, projecting, competition training and safety.
- To develop good training habits
- To focus on mastering the basics through technique, drills and skill mastery
- To provide whole body conditioning
- Small group size to allow personal connection and individual focus
The Squamish Rock Stars Team is suitable for those keen to grow and improve as climbers and athletes.
Sessions focus on:
- specific climbing movements and techniques
- physical and mental skill development
- a strong focus on individual personal performance, rather than outcome.
- the option to compete
- instill good sport practices for life thus providing a solid base to grow from
- a strong focus on injury prevention
Specific training is done through the use of drills and games without impeding on the athlete's ability to discover their own strengths, weaknesses and mental tenacities. Students will learn how to approach a climb with intention through mental and physical strategy. This will greatly benefit those pursuing competitions and performance climbing, as well as instil a deep sense of confidence.
This program offers ‘structured freedom’ climbing, providing a fun environment balanced with a specific plan. We aim to keep the fun in sport while sharing and capturing the essence and passion of climbing. All programming is based on the Sport Climbing for Life, Long Term Athlete Development Model.
Rock Star Training Dates
- Tuesday’s: 4:00 - 6:30
- 10 weeks- April 2nd - June 4th
There is potential to add an extra training day depending on demand.
Cost per session:
10 weeks, 2.5 hour classes = $250 ($25/class)
The Grand Wall Boulders depending on the weather.
Climbing Day Camps for Kids
- To experience the essence of the climbing spirit and foster a connection with nature
- To allow the climber to give full effort to a problem or climb and to experience projecting without time constraint; to explore various rocks; to self-discovery
- To focus on individual personal performance; to foster a growth mindset and build confidence
Camps offer technical movement instruction with focus on providing a well-rounded introduction to the different types of rocks and climbing styles. On-sight, red-point and project, and movement skills will be introduced as well as general climbing terminology. There will be warm-up, full body conditioning and cooldowns to help with injury prevention and to introduce healthy sport practice.
- Where: Squamish boulders
- When: inquire within
- Time: inquire within
- Cost: inquire within
- All participants must sign a waiver
- Needs a minimum of 4 kids to run
- Participants must have their own climbing shoes
- Please bring a healthy lunch and snacks.
About the Coach:
Thomasina is a NCCP certified Coach, is a certified ACMG Climbing Gym Instructor and has been coaching sport since the age of 16. From coaching gymnastics to climbing, Thomasina has learned valuable coaching and training methods from some of the world top climbing coaches in Canada, the USA, Switzerland, Germany, France and Slovenia. She follows the Long Term Athlete Development Framework from Sport for Life.
Thomasina brings a wealth of personal experience learned from competing for Team Canada at the IFSC World Cup Level, to pushing standards on rock, having climbed multiple v11's and 12's, and at the 5.13 level. Her vast experience has given her an excellent understanding of climbing movements; training for various aspects of climbing including sport, bouldering and competition climbing; injury prevention; mental tactics for projecting hard outside and for competition.
Thomasina is a mother, climber, coach, trainer, writer and endless wanderer.
Completed National Coaching Association Courses:
- NCCP Sport Nutrition
- Aboriginal Coaching Module
- Planning a Practice
- Make Ethical Decisions
- Making Head Way in Sport
- Certified GF - Artistic Gymnastics Coach
- Climbing Gym Instructor Level 1