Moving Up: Coaching and Training for Climbing
Join the Squamish ‘Rock Stars’ Climbing Team
The Squamish Rock Stars Climbing Team is re-starting this October 2nd..!
The Squamish Rock Stars Team is suitable for those keen to grow and improve as climbers and athletes. Sessions have a strong focus on technique, specific climbing movements and physical and mental skill development thus giving athletes a solid base to grow from. There is a strong focus on individual personal performance, rather than outcome. We will the chance to take part in competition when the comp season arrives.
Specific training is done through the use of drills and games without impeding on the athletes ability to discover their own strengths, weaknesses and mental tenacities. Students will learn how to approach a climb with intention through mental and physical strategy. This will greatly benefit those pursuing competitions and performance climbing, as well as instil a deep sense of confidence.
To instil good sport practices for life, sessions includes warm up, physical and mental training, and cool downs to help with injury prevention. This program offers ‘structured freedom’ climbing, providing a fun environment balanced with a specific plan. We aim to keep the fun in sport, while sharing and capturing the essence and passion of climbing. All programming is based on the Sport Climbing for Life, Long Term Athlete Development Model.
Essence of the Squamish Rock Stars
- To foster and capture the essence of the climbing spirit
- To focus on effort over results; to instil a growth mindset and approach failure as learning opportunities
- To encourage kids to get out of their comfort zone
- To provide tools to develop mental and physical strength and tenacity
- To allow space and time for self-discovery, growth, and understanding of oneself
- To give experience to various aspects of climbing such as on sighting, red-pointing, projecting, competition training and safety, and develop good training habits
- To have a strong focus on mastering the basics by focusing on technique, drills and skill mastery on various climbing styles
- To provide whole body conditioning for sport
- Small group size to allow personal connection and individual focus
- To have fun!!!
Rock Star Training Dates
Winter dates: Tuesday’s: 4:00 – 6:30, 8 weeks- October 2nd – Nov 19th
Spring dates: to be announced
There is potential to add another training day at extra cost, depending on enrolment.
Cost per session:
8 weeks, 2.5 hour classes = $200
Cost includes a lifetime membership and day pass to the Grand Wall Bouldering Cooperative. All participants must sign a waiver.
For more information on the gym, see the website: www.grandwallbouldercoop.org
**Climbing Day camps are currently on hold**
Climbing Day Camps for Kids
- To experience the essence of the climbing spirit and foster a connection with nature
- To allow the climber to give full effort to a problem or climb and to experience projecting without time constraint; to explore various rocks; to self-discover
- To focus on individual personal performance; to foster a growth mindset; in build confidence
There are half day and full day camps which offer technical movement instruction with focus on providing a well-rounded introduction to different types of rocks and climbing styles as well to help improve movement. On-sight, red-point and project skills will be introduced as well as general climbing terminology. There will be warm up, full body conditioning and cool downs to help with injury prevention and to introduce healthy sport practice. As sidelines, there will be nature walks, games and gymnastics
- Where: Squamish boulders
- When: inquire within
- Time: inquire within
- Cost: inquire within
- All participants must sign a waiver
- Needs a minimum of 4 kids to run
- Participants must have their own climbing shoes
- Please bring a healthy lunch and snacks.
For more information on programs and registration contact Thomasina at:
About the Coach:
Thomasina has been coaching sport since the age of 16. From coaching gymnastics to climbing, Thomasina has learned valuable coaching and training methods from some of the world top climbing coaches in Canada, the USA, Switzerland, Germany, France and Slovenia. Thomasina is a NCCP certified Coach, is a certified ACMG Climbing Gym Instructor and has been coaching sport since the age of 16. She follows the Long Term Athlete Development Framework from Sport for Life.
Thomasina brings a wealth of personal experience learned from competing for Team Canada at the IFSC World Cup Level, to pushing standards on rock, having climbed multiple v12’s and at the 5.13 level. Her vast experience has given her an excellent understanding of climbing movements; training principles for various aspects of climbing including sport, bouldering and competition climbing; injury prevention; mental tactics for projecting hard outside and for competition. Thomasina is a mother, climber, coach, trainer and endless wanderer.
Disclaimer: Thomasina is not a certified ACMG rock guide though she does hold her Climbing Gym Instructor Course Level 1. These courses focus solely on skill acquisition and coaching for climbing to help participants become better overall climbers and athletes.